Yummy. Now this is supposed to be a copy-cat recipe of Panera’s Cheddar Broccoli Soup, but since I’ve never had soup at Panera I can’t tell you how close it is. I can tell you it was good. Very, very, very, (veryveryveryveryVERY) good.
And easy. Can’t beat good AND easy!
I made my regular wheat bread dough (double recipe) and formed large bread balls about half the size I wanted the bread bowls to be. They were all different sized. Jaizy had a little one and Jason had a large one and everyone else was something in between. Bake as directed on bread post for the most part. I baked mine on a baking stone about 10 minutes less than normal. If you need help with the bread bowls, just ask. That made 6 bread bowls.
Here is the recipe as listed, my ingredients modifications are listed below.
- Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 8 slices Kraft Sharp Cheddar singles
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/3 cup diced white onion
- Pinch ground black pepper
- Steam the broccoli however method you choose. I used the microwave. Chop broccoli into pieces that are about the size of peas with a knife or food processor.
- Pour the chicken broth into a large saucepan with the half and half. Whisk in the flour and then add the remaining ingredients including the broccoli. Turn the heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until mixture begins to bubble. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the carrots are tender and the soup is thick.
- Makes 4 servings
I have mondo family so I made 2.5 times the recipe. Plus we like leftovers.
- 9 cups broccoli ( or thereabouts)
- 10 cups chicken broth (I made mine with Better than Bullion paste)
- 2.5 cups half and half
- 1.25 cups flour
- 4 cups 2% shredded sharp cheddar
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 medium chopped onion